Sunday, March 4, 2012

I have been traveling

For the last two weeks Sue and I have traveled.  Nothing special about that.  But as I travel in and out of various countries things happen that you tell yourself, "I am going to remember that."  But, of course, most of the time you don't.  While it is fresh on my fading memory I though I would ramble a little about some things.

1.  The first flight was on Emirates Airline and it is super.  It has come to the top of some of my airlines along with Singapore, Thai Air, ANA and Cathay Pacific.  No American airlines on my list.  To many grandmothers daring you to ask for anything.

2.  We flew most of the trip on the world's largest commercial airline the A380.  It is a flying cruise ship.  Absolutely amazing.

3.  I also flew on Alitalia Air.  I have placed this airline at the bottom of my list of the worst International Airline.  Avoid it if you can.  I have heard strange stories about the mafia.  They may be the owners of this airline.  Customers are obviously a hugh annoyance to them.  Please give us your money and go away is their motto.  Terrible!

4.  We stayed in Reggio, Italy where our fist church in Italy is located  This is a small town where the Apostle Paul came to shore on his way to Rome.  A monument stands on the shore.  A great place for a Word for the World.

5.  The smallest cars possible ply the streets of Reggio.  They park on top of each other.  Streets are too small for cars, parking and people.  Tiny!

6.  From cold, cold Italy we flew to hot, hot Dubai.  Huge, beautiful airport.  Maybe the nicest international airport in the world.

7.  More religious freedom in Dubai than you think.  Not so in most of the other 6 emirates but some freedom.  Still, you must be careful.

8.  I got on an elevator in our hotel in Dubai and a small little old lady got on with me while eyeing me strangely.  "Is that a Bible you have?'  Yes it is.  She wanted to say more but the doors opened for her floor and she slowly got off looking back at me.  I don't know what was going through her little old mind.

9.  Heat and dust storms are the order of most days.

10.  We traveled to Ai Ain to visit Chad and Ginny.  They are from Tennessee and they are teachers.  It is a beautiful city and they were happy.

11.  Food is always different in each place you travel.  Dubai?  Cheeses of every kind.  Dates plentiful.  Wonderful Olives of every size and taste.  For breakfast we had beef bacon and beef sausage.  The pig was spared.

12.  You must know some basic sign language to get around.  This is language you just make up as you go alone.  Sue is very good at this.

13.  Changing time zones pays havoc with your sleeping order, your ability to think clear, and the clothes you should or should not be wearing.

14.  The time of day, the date and the day simply gets lost.  The meal you are eating usually doesn't help much.

15.  Security at airports is a nightmare.  You come close to being required to undress.  Coats off, pockets empty, belt off, shoes off, off, off, off.  I saw one Japanese man trying his best to hold up his pants while trying to do the other things the security people were shouting at him.

16.  After everything marching through the ex-ray machine you find yourself elbow to elbow with a dozen other people trying to redress.  Excuse me.  Pardon me.  Is that your belt or mine?

17.  Airlines have a very unique system of having you arrive at gate 1 and your must  be at gate 100 in five minutes.  Marvelous the way they can do that.

18.  The meals are fascinating if you happen to get one.  Most of the time you do not know what it is your are eating and before you are finished, "We are beginning our descend."  Tray tables up, seats in place, seat belt buckled.  Hurry, hurry.

19.  Turn off all electronics or you will cause total confusion in the tower and the pilot's instructions.

20.  We have just landed and everyone tries to get off at the same time.  Hurry or something terrible is going to happen.  Overheads pop open and what does fall out on someone's head is pulled out quickly as if someone is going to steal your bag.  On to the next wonderful flight.  I know it because they keep telling us what a great airline this is.  Now where can I find gate 100A.


No comments:

Post a Comment