Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Kathmandu, Nepal

The sound of the name of the city is mysterious.  Most do not know where it is.  Some might like to go.  I would advise you to go.  I just returned after spending a week going about the city.  It is not my first visit.  I have been going for ten years and I keep being drawn back.

Let's be honest, it is a dirty, dry, dusty and hot city.  It is in what is called the Kathmandu Valley with mountains all around.  The city is one of those places you would like to describe as the good, the bad and the ugly.  However, you struggle to put each adventure into one of the three categories.

The good?  Some of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world.  The Himalayans run throughout the country.  You can trek in the wonderful and fairly easy foothills with their small villages of friendly people.  Or you may want to go high and high you can go.  Everest is there.  Just a little under 30,000 feet. Never been there.  Don't expect to go.  But it is fascinating.  More of the good?  The people!  They are mostly dark skin and smile with all of the welcome that could be in an expression in a smile.  They like to practice their English and will offer you the most wonderful cup of tea while to chat.

The bad?  I really don't like this category but there is always a little bad everywhere.  I do not think I have been to a more dirty city and I have been to hundreds over the last 40 years.  Water is a major daily shortage.  Maybe this is why everything seems dirty.  There does not seem to be an air condition car in town.  They are there, of course, but don't expect one in the dilapidated cabs.  Brownouts or blackouts as some call them are a constant daily occurrences.  Drinking water?  Be very careful.  Food?  Spicy.  If you like good hot curry it is the best.  Garlic Naan is a favorite of mine.

The ugly?  The airport is a nightmare.  When you walk out into the parking zone you will be surrounded with a mass of men pulling at your bags wanting to help you find a taxi and get you to where you want to go even if you don't want to go there.  The government is as many governments are in these countries.  They get rich and live well off of aid from other countries.  But the people see nothing of what the money may have been given for.  When will developing countries ever stop enriching corrupt political leaders?  It is as if they are all from the same place, doing the same thing and enjoying the very best of luxury.  One political leader from another country know each other.  When the rich country gives money it knows where it is going.

Will I go back?  You bet!  I love the dear friends I have made over these last 10 years.  We seem to need each other.  I always wish I had the resources to help them but I don't.  I help in ways I can.  I know very wealthy people in other parts of the world that could help but they have never been to Kahmandu and probably will not go.  I will go and enjoy a hot cup of tea and some wonderful conversation and just be thankful that I can go.  I love those dear people.

No comments:

Post a Comment