Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Mission trip to Nepal

This trip was into the interior of Nepal to the town of Bharatapur nestled in the shadows of the Himalayan.  It took three flights and two days to get here from Manila.  We found our church on a gravel, dusty, one lane road.  It was in a beautiful setting with bright green rice paddies all around.  Water buffaloes contently lying in the shade.  Children running to nowhere.  They always like to run.  Boys racing on their Chinese made bikes.  Boys the world over like to race.

Already at the church were 150 to 200 pastors and their wives and friends who had gathered for a three day convention.  We enjoyed the greeting time as we renewed friendships of ten years.  In the church the ladies sit on one side.  Men on the other.  All sitting cross legged on the floor.  They sang joyfully as if they had no concerns whatsoever.  I enjoyed the sounds of their unknown tongue.  At least to me it was unknown.

As I preached the three ceiling fans were doing the best they could.  Heat was coming through the windows and doors.  The church was full.  People were sitting outside in the international plastic chairs that has made someone very rich.  My interpreter seems to be working harder than me.  He is trying to catch every word.  I was wet to my skin for the entire two hours of preaching/teaching.  As I taught they took notes by putting their tablets on the floor.

I looked out the back door of the church as I was preaching and saw the beautiful rice paddies at different stages of growth.  I noted as we came in, the heads of the rice bowing over to us as if to say, "Please harvest me."  I would hate for the harvest to be lost.  The grain is precious.

I visited the kitchen where the young people were preparing the lunch.  Large basins were full of chopped specialities. A large pan of chopped onions.  Two bowls of garlic.  Large pan of very hot peppers.  Two differ large pans full of different greens.  Everyone would eat well today.

It was a wonderful three days with God's children.  Life is hard but their laughter real.  I have grown to love these dear ones.  I weep because of the harsh life they live.  They really do not complain and worshipped with the greatest expressions of joy.


2 comments:

  1. Pastor Gerry, it's good you started this, I just love reading your posts, I will surely be your frequent visitor here.

    Love what you said here "I looked out the back door of the church as I was preaching and saw the beautiful rice paddies at different stages of growth. I noted as we came in, the heads of the rice bowing over to us as if to say, "Please harvest me." I would hate for the harvest to be lost. The grain is precious"

    Praying for you and sis. sue.

    Blessings!
    Jhunnelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post ... I know how much hard for westerners to come and preach in country like India and Nepal on a summer season.. I have seen on my own eyes... thank you so much for reaching out Pastor Gerry .. I'm here in bible school just because some missionaries like you paid hard work and reached my country (India).. Praying for you!!

    Ronpeck Durai
    Asian Seminary of Christian Ministries,
    Philippines.

    ReplyDelete