Sunday, January 29, 2012

My first visit to Nepal

When I hear the name Nepal there is a certain feeling that begins deep inside of me.  Explain it?  No way!  No words.  I remember my first visit to this wonderfully strange land more than 10 years ago.  I had flown from Manila to Bangkok for an overnight.  Boarded a Thai flight the next day on to Katmandu, Nepal.  I sat in my seat captured by a strange feeling.  As a child of God I always knew that I was to reflect the light of our Lord and I was to be a part of His light.  As my old Thai plane banked to land in this strange land I felt a sense of light flying into darkness.

I knew from my studies that Nepal was a Hindu country.  That told me that there would be thousands of different gods that had found a place to reside.  Gods that were the gods of darkness.  I felt a certain weakness that was strange.  My emotions were responding to the days ahead.

The arrival was an experience.  Not frightening.  No rudeness.  Just people all confused except for those who were suppose to be directing travel.  I have never experienced so many different voices barking out different orders and contradicting each other with ease.  I am not sure how I got out of the airport but suddenly I found myself confronted with scores of people who wanted to help me.  Carry your bags sir?  My taxi is this way.  My hotel is near.  Bottle of water sir?

With the gracious hand of the Lord upon me I found myself in a taxi. At least it was suppose to be a taxi.  I closed my door three times.  No air conditioning, sir.  Off we went in a car made from tin cans and spare motorcycle parts.  We drove at a speed that was un-nerving.  We swerved around "holy cows" that rambled freely.  Buses, trucks, bicycles, people walking, animals, beggars, WHO, UNESF, UN, diplomaic cars all in range of my vision.  The problem?  They all wanted to be in the same spot at the same time.

I do not know what kind of miracle got me to the right hotel but there it was.  Right in front of me.  Amazing.  I looked at the driver and he just grinned.  I gave him some rupees.  I don't know how many.  I just needed to get out of this danger zone and into this wonderful hotel.

I walked into a beautiful hotel lobby.  Not large but peaceful, orderly, with a young man bowing before me with a wonderful fruit drink.  What fruit?  Who knows.  Everyone was kind, helpful, gracious and there were fresh flowers that scented the air and I thought, "I  have just passed through hell and I am now in heaven."

That is how I got there.  The next few days were going to be my introduction to what I would find to be a wonderful country with gracious people and so much to see.  The next few days are for another time.  Just let it be known that Nepal is worth the visit.  You are never very far from the towering beautiful Himalayan Mountains.  They have a mystifying drawing spirit about them.  You simply want to go invited by the promise of the land of Shangri La. I have been going to that wonderful land for ten years.  I will return next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment